Sunday, October 19, 2008

Religulous

What if the fairy tale Jack and the Beanstalk was committed to the page centuries ago and treated as gospel; and then stories of talking snakes in gardens, a man who lived within a giant fish for 3 days, and someone who magically walked on water were mere children's tales? Would the story of Jack and the Beanstalk hold true as logical religious means for rational people? Of course not. That's ridiculous.

Ridiculous. Religion. Religulous.

The trailer:


Two lefty movies in one weekend for the Gordons (W. and Religulous)! Now as a disclaimer, we already worship at the altar of Bill Maher (an odd metaphor for the religion-as-bunk film), so take the review with a grain of salt....lest ye be turned into a pillar of salt like a fairy tale figure. Wait, that actual occurrence is part of religion? My bad.

This film is NOT a bashing of religion. It is a thoughtful inquisition (tee hee hee, "inquisition"...another religious event). Anyway, it is a thoughtful inquisition on matters of religion. Logic and reason and challenging questions are posed versus religion. Engage a conversation: how can otherwise brilliant and rational people throw all scientific method and logical thought out the window in favor of a wildly irrational and fairy tale belief in mysticisms? How do otherwise intelligent people throw all caution to the wind and believe in a set of stories (Jesus and Christianity) that are based on Egyptian belief systems invented 1000 years beforehand (Horus)? How does one argue that scientific fact is said to be included in these holy books, when modern science techniques did not arise until centuries, if not a millennium, later? How is a "virgin birth" such a pivotal moment in the story, yet only included in two of the gospels? Wouldn't the book editor feel that such a rare physiological occurrence would merit inclusion?

It isn't a classic "Gotcha!" film, where the interviewees are edited to look like buffoons. The questions Maher raise leave open-ended pause for more questioning. Talk. Discuss. Debate. However it IS Maher, and it IS humorous commentary, so sure there are ways to lighten the mood and slightly mock the interviewee, but any buffoonishness is manufactured solely by the buffoon him/herself.

Find him funny or find him dull, Maher is indeed a sharp critic in Religulous. Many points, borderline and also downright scary, are made well and with logic. When government professes to place great weight onto religion in its decision-making, and with the utmost joy that will occur for the "believers" at "End of Days", one wonders just how public policy may try to invoke the hastening of these final days just to see their fairy tale come to a glorious and climactic end.

An easy Full Price. Easy.

2 comments:

Me is a pronoun. It is the objective case of I. said...

I appreciate the Gordon's disclaimers. It lets me know they still have some sense about themselves ;-)

Okay...here are my disclaimers...the secret is out...I don't go to very many movies... I primarily do not go to them for the same reason I stopped supporting professional baseball: Because I got tired of giving my money to whiny rich people with no sense of the real world. This fact does not prevent me from giving under-informed opinions about movies. Also, I don't have an opionion either way on Bill Maher b/c I do not watch him.

Which brings me to my honest questions:

Many of those involve similar queries used in Chris' opening paragraph and I have expressed similar questions to many people, including an ordained minister of the Lutheran church. For example, I feel it is odd that we in modern times scoff at the Greek and Roman Gods that people once held dear, but many of us are so sure nowadays that "this God" is the real deal.

Why?

Next, I question Bill Maher's motives. On the surface, it seems he deals only with Christianity. Aren't the other religions equally as ludicrous? Does he not wish to take on Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, et.al.? I recall a "Religions of the World" class in college and every topic covered seemed pretty off-the-wall to me. I don't mind singling out one religion over the other as long as your argument backs up why it should be singled out. If Maher addressed this and I am jumping the gun, then I apologize. But on the surface, it seems he is unfairly singling out one of the many ridiculous sects.

Why?

Love,

Duke, God of Ill Informed Opinions

Flash said...

Don't worry Duke, he tackles the ridiculousness of more of them: Islam, Judaism, even Mormonism.