Tuesday, April 29, 2008

"Ordinary people can do extraordinary things if they work together."


Barack Obama had a Town Hall meeting today in Winston-Salem, NC. Tickets became available this past weekend at the Forsyth County Board of Elections, and as our friends the Gallers live closer, they happily volunteered to nab tickets.

It began as a rather chilly morning lining up at the Joel Coliseum (or "Coliseu" as the photo suggests) Annex at 7:30am for the 9:30am door opening. Easily the BEST starting spot in line for our Obama sightings.


Our seats were pretty good on the floor in the 7th rows to the left of the podium:

The 7th row seats lended themselves to some good photos of the senator as he entered the auditorium:

It was yet another vigorous and inspiring speech (preaching to the choir with us, we know). The major soundbites were Obama's poo-pooing of the so-called "gas tax holiday" this summer and deflection of any Rev. Wright comments until a press conference scheduled immediately after the Town Hall meeting.



Yet another inspiring speech and moment to see live and in-person the (hopefully) next president of the United States.


This campaign is not about John McCain, Hillary Clinton, or even myself Barack Obama. This campaign and election is about YOU, the American people. Consequently, I cannot do this without you. So I will need your help in these next 8 days, these next 8 months, and these next 8 years to bring this country together.

Wow.

1 comment:

Me is a pronoun. It is the objective case of I. said...

I'm here to say: the "gas tax holiday" is about the dumbest thing I have heard of. The federal gas tax, from what I have heard, is about 17 cents per gallon or something like that... If the sources I listen to are correct, that is money that goes towards the upkeep of the federal highways. So...instead of paying $3.60 per gallon (today's current price here in OH), I can pay $3.40 per gallon and have potentially less safe roads? Where do I sign up?

Regarding the title of the current blog:

Isn't this the truth? It seems so simple. I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps me ... when "whatever" gets to big for my neighbor and me...we look to the next neighbor(s). When that gets to big for us we look for bigger help...local, county, state and eventually federal help. But it all starts at the individual level. It doesn't matter if you are talking about borrowing a cup of sugar for your recipe or saving lives due to Hurricaine Katrina...extraordinary things can happen.

I suppose it depends on your expectations...