Friday, July 10, 2009

Summer Chili

Nearly World Famous Gordon Chili was posted here in February 2008. I recently had a taste for it even in the heat of summer, so I spent my Wednesday off preparing it....with a few tweaks. You can basically follow along with the recipe from 2/08, but it changes each time I make it.

Namely, I added more chiles: dried and whole. Habanero, jalapeno, chile, ancho. Just enough insidious heat without burning your lips off.

Plus, instead of using broth and water, I just boiled two full bottles of Great Lakes Brewing's Edmund Fitzgerald Porter to make the chiles pliable before blending. And of course the entire concoction gets thrown in.
And I usually make an absolute mess of the place when I'm in the kitchen, but that's half the fun!

All in all, a fun day in the kitchen...with the dogs underfoot scavenging. Suffice to say neither one is a fan of pureed chile pepper. Spicing is never measured. Cilantro, cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, oregano. A heap of this, a healthy sprinkle of that, and the winner? Because I can and no one is here to tell me "no"...an entire bag of Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chips. Yes!

A huge ass pot of chili and Brown Sugar Cornbread. Yum! Who needs cold winters for good chili? Good food knows no season.

1 comment:

Chemgeek said...

As every good chef knows, if the recipe calls for beer, if it is a good recipe, it will call for something like 25 ounces leaving the chef to figure out what to do with the remaining 11 ounces :)