Sunday, November 16, 2008

Asheville Q&A with Amanda Palmer


Article hits the paper before the show Friday night:

Amanda Palmer gets some unexpected help

Jedd Ferris • published November 14, 2008 12:15 am

Amanda Palmer wanted to make her debut solo album a personal bedroom-style affair - just her quietly banging out some songs at home on her piano.

But then the singer of the punk cabaret group the Dresden Dolls got an unexpected call from Ben Folds expressing admiration and offering his Nashville studio to make the record. As a result, “Who Killed Amanda Palmer?” - a reference to the ‘90s serial drama “Twin Peaks” - turned into a much more multi-faceted artistic expression than initially expected.

With Folds producing and lending his talents on a handful of instruments, the disc jumps from whimsical indie pop to mellow piano ballads to moments of orchestral bombast. Palmer is about to release a companion book to the album with the help of graphic novelist Neil Gaiman, and she is currently touring behind the disc with some visual enhancement from the Danger Ensemble theater group.

Palmer visits the Orange Peel on Friday night. She shared some thoughts on a variety of subjects.

On Ben Folds

“The disc evolved into more than I initially anticipated when Ben called me up and asked if he could produce my record. It was a blessing that came at the right time. As soon as he got involved, the project really took off. It was going to be short and simple and uncomplicated, but it blossomed into a full production monster. I just started saying ‘yes' to spontaneous randomness that Ben was suggesting. I was up for anything.”

On recording in Nashville

“Nashville treated me just fine. I was living in a straight line between Ben's studio on Music Row and a yoga studio. I was planning on recording at home, but Ben's studio had a really inspirational vibe. It was old school and storied. It felt like walking into a church. I felt honored to be there.”

On the Danger Ensemble

“I'm bringing a crazy theater circus with me. It's been hard to try to describe to people what exactly it is. It's like a weird Madonna show meets 'The Wall' in three dimensions. There are definitely moments of solo piano in the show, but interspersed between every other song there are four actors on stage doing beautiful choreographed theater. It feels like a live music video. Some of it is very slow and reflective, and some is fast and furious. Every show feels like we're really putting something on.”

On the companion book

“It came about just as randomly as everything else. I had a collection of photos I wanted to use for the album artwork, but the record label cut the packaging budget. In typical Amanda Palmer style, I decided to do it myself and put out a book. I asked Neil to write some text, and miraculously he said yes. I wanted a touchable piece of art to go along with the music. It's exciting, especially in these times of trying to figure out where the income is going to come from, now that the chances of selling a CD, even to one of your fans, is slim.”

On enhancing music with art

“I was brought up in the early MTV days, when every artist was a multimedia artist and wore cool costumes. I was also started doing music theater when I was a little kid. I put music and theater in the same box, and I think they enhance each other naturally. I'm excited about things that add to the atmosphere of a band. I'd be bored just writing songs and delivering them.”

No comments: