Sunday, December 7, 2008

An evening of apparitions

It's kind of a crappy photo, but the flash really didn't take from the view from my 3rd row seat at the High Point Theatre Saturday night for yet another performance of A Christmas Carol. Quite possibly my all-time favorite holiday play/book/movie. I take that back, it's EASILY my all-time favorite play/book/movie. It was the George C. Scott cinematic version on TV that got me hooked, and ever since I have strived to see whatever version I can.

Anyway, after work, it was a trip to Liberty Steakhouse and Brewpub in High Point for some Oatmeal Stout and a huge ass slab of meatloaf. Liberty is by far the least of our immediately local brewpubs: Foothills, Natty Greene's, then Liberty. I'd venture to drive the hour to either Carolina Brewery locations in either Chapel Hill or Pittsboro before Liberty. Most of their beers are subpar in my opinion, but their Oatmeal Stout and their seasonals are tasty. The current seasonal is a Light Carb Light Lager, so I passed. Oatmeal Stout goes better with meatloaf and mashed potatoes anyway. Besides, I was in High Point anyway, so why not?

After dinner, it was the quick jaunt from the brewpub to the other side of High Point University and the theatre. Another quality performance, although I was sad to see the theatre just a smidge over half full. Half full! It's opening weekend, people! Come on out and support the arts! That was a little disheartening to see, as I immediately worry that the plug will be pulled and they'll cancel it next year.

Between the Greensboro tree lighting last night, and A Christmas Carol tonight, the holiday season is truly underway for me.

(And looking back on last December's posts, looks like I missed out on one year exactly (2007's performance to 2008's) by a mere two days: http://thehouseofgordon.blogspot.com/2007/12/business-establishment-of-scrooge-and.html)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're becoming a spokesperson for the holidays, and I'm starting to listen. I mean, you were right about the Nutcracker last year.

I haven't seen this play onstage, but I've seen a handful of the movie versions. The George C. Scott versions rates up there, but I recall one of the black and white renderings that appealed to me more. It wasn't the oldest one. I think it was produced in the early '60's. Had some frightening imagery that was appropriate to the written word. The ghosts were eerie, and Scrooge was right. George C Scott did his during the mid-'70's, if I'm not mistaken.

But Bill Murray's comedic version, for me, ranks at number two.

J.