Monday, December 22, 2008

Holiday season Hungarian Nut Roll

Every Christmas I make, if I do say so myself, some astounding nut roll. An old Hungarian recipe is used, however I use a Kitchen-Aid mixer and not my hands to mix this sticky dough. Every time I make this, I marvel at the fact that my Hungarian godmother would make these with only her hands time and time again.

In order to share this goodness with the world, I am here to post the recipe and the step-by-step instructions. You'll thank me.

Sprinkle one packet of bread yeast into 1/4 cup lukewarm water with 1 teaspoonful of brown sugar and let multiply.

Mix 6 cups (that is not a typo: SIX cups) flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 cup sugar.

Cut in two sticks of butter a la pie dough. Mix in 3 eggs, 1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup sour cream, and 2 teaspoonfuls vanilla. Add yeast.

Allow the dough to rise in a quiet, warm spot until doubled. Then chill overnight.

Make the filling with two pounds of ground walnuts, 8 whipped egg whites plus 1 cup sugar until soft peaks form, 1 teaspoonful cinnamon, and 2 tablespoonfuls honey.

This recipe makes THREE nut rolls, so divide the dough and filling into three. Roll out the dough and spread your filling.

Roll and prick the top with a fork with each roll to vent. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes until golden brown. And if you want, do what I do and go overboard and make THREE batches, which equates to NINE nut rolls. NINE. (With enough extra trimmed dough to make a TENTH...experimentally using pecans on that one).


Delicious.

2 comments:

Me is a pronoun. It is the objective case of I. said...

My dad makes a similar recipe called kolache. As I understand it, kolache is a generic term for any pastry that a filling is used and then rolled into a log. His filling is a walnut/brown sugar mix. His roots are in Lithuania. Not exactly Hungary's neighbor, but I'm sure the culinary influences have some similarities.

Love,

duke

chris said...

THANK YOU!

My grandmother (from eastern OH/ NW PA) used to make these every Christmas. She's now incapable of remembering the recipe and I want to continue the family tradition for my niece and nephew (who have not been blessed with a mom who bakes). My Gram would make a bunch of rolls and bring them with her to our vacation home in Florida, where us kids would interrupt beach/pool time with frequent trips to the kitchen for a slice of her nut rolls!

Love the picture of the fresh-baked rolls lined up and ready to be devoured/frozen/gifted. :-)

Happy holidays!

Christine
San Rafael, CA