Tuesday, January 13, 2009

2009 World Baseball Classic


16 teams. One true "world champion" on the baseball stage.

Australia
Canada
China
Chinese Taipei
Cuba
Dominican Republic
Italy
Japan
Korea
Mexico
Kingdom of the Netherlands
Panama
Puerto Rico
South Africa
United States
Venezuela

This is the 2nd incarnation of this tournament, the first occurring in 2006 with a "final four" of Cuba vs. Dominican Republic, and Japan vs. South Korea, with Japan defeating Cuba to win the inaugural WBC. One team again will survive the tournament and emerge victorious. First Round games in 2009 begin around the world on March 5th: Tokyo, Mexico City, Toronto, and San Juan. Then the next round occurs in San Diego and Miami. And finally, the championship bracket occurs at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, CA on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday March 21-23. Hmmm....my 3-day weekend occurs at that very time. Let's put in for the following Mon-Tue off and see what happens....

What? The time was approved? Are you shitting me? I am, as they say, so THERE!!!!

Tickets for all 3 finals games along the first base line (watch out for wicked line drives), airfare, and a hotel literally 200 yards away from Dodger Stadium are all in hand. A little treat just for me in lieu of the marital strife that is trying to ruin my mindset. What better tonic for me than baseball?

I already have my official WBC Dominican Republic cap for the games. I bought it at mlb.com specifically for the upcoming DR medical mission trip, but it will work just fine for Los Angeles and Dodger Stadium in March. Sure I'll root for the USofA, but my money's on the DR to win the whole thing.

I am so excited!!!!

No comments: