Sunday, January 4, 2009

Rename my brewery!

At first, it was messy partial boils on the electric kitchen stove. Then, upgrading to a propane burner, it was (and is) full boils in the garage/driveway. Via either method, 27 batches have been brewed since 2000 under the monikers KC Draught Haus, and then the KC Brew Haus (owing to the fact that no beers were ever on draught). 2008 was indeed a banner year for homebrewing, with a remarkable 13 batches brewed just since July!

Maybe a banner year for brewing, but an awful year for marital bliss. As my close friends are now aware, quite possibly the shittiest weekend of my entire life has just occurred, and as a result there is no reason to continue on with the "K" in the KC Brew Haus name. I believe you could surmise what the K and the C stood for, and the K has horrifically made decisions to no longer be a part of the KC. Consequently, the resulting C Brew Haus just doesn't have a good ring to it. Days of numbing despair have subsided somewhat, but only just ever so slightly as the heart does not heal completely after a blow such as this.

Anyway, I have some ideas, but want to hear yours. Click on the comments link underneath this post (immediately to the right of the Posted by Flash at 10:34pm) and offer your own ideas. Offer more than one if you'd like. One lucky brewery name voted on by the house brewing staff-of-one will usher in a new era of Gordonian homebrewing. The winning name will have an outstanding grand prize consisting of a case of whatever ale style you wish brewed for, and named after, you. Now is your chance to go down in history in my BeerSmith brewing log with a batch named after you.

Some of my own ideas:

- Southern Campaign Brewing Co.
(You know I'm a junkie for revolutionary war general Nathanael Greene history.)

- 408 Brewing Co.
(Shoeless Joe Jackson's 1911 rookie season batting average with the Cleveland Indians; a rookie record that still stands to this day.)

- Blue Darter Brew House
(The nickname given to Shoeless Joe's wicked line drives.)

- Lajoie Brasserie
(Cleveland Indian great Napoleon Lajoie and a Frenchy sounding word for brewery.)

- Wookiee House of Ales
(I'm not explaining this one.)

- Dr. Hans Zarkov's Fermented Beverages
(The slightly mad scientist in the Flash Gordon serials/strips/films/TV shows.)

- Casey's Mudville Carboy House
(An homage to the old "KC", incorporating a love of baseball and the fermentation vessel of choice.)

These are mine. What are yours?

Only 5 people read this blog anyway, so the chances of you winning a case of named-after-you homebrewed beer is insanely high.

Show me how creative you can be. Let this be an interactive blog post. I anxiously await the trickle of responses that will rush in with all the power of a leaky faucet. Let's set a deadline for January 25. With the currently saturated homebrew inventory and an upcoming week spent in Washington, DC for the inauguration, I won't be brewing a new batch until February at the earliest. January 25. Three weeks from tonight. Let's hear those names...

I'll post occasional reminders throughout the month if the votes don't even trickle in. Let's say a minimum of 5 names must be submitted before votes (or rather just my one vote) are cast. And feel free to vote for one of my own ideas, I rather like some of them. A vote for one of mine will still count towards your submission tally.

Good luck!

7 comments:

modellsx said...

Definitely not "Wookie," even though your other readers may share your passion for all things Star Warsian. Consider the following:

Mr. G's Brew Haus;

Auburn Hills Brewing Company, or

Buckheel Brew Haus.

your friend,

modellsx

Anonymous said...

How about:

Big Blue Brewing
Wolverine Brewing
4-12 Brewing
Steel Curtain Brew Works
Modell's Brewhouse

Just a few thoughts. I can taste the beer already. Thanks for playing, everyone.

Anonymous said...

Your own suggestions suck!

But then again, I could give a crap about baseball. You have something with the Hans Zarkoff thing. But I don't think it'll get much communal support.

I'm thinking you should go the way of the cynic. Try these:

- River Of Tears Brewing Company.

- The Drink Until I'm The Only Person Left That I Can Half Stand beer makers, Inc.

- Home Grown Echo Chamber Brew House.

- He-Man Woman Haters Club of Fermentable Goods.

- Liberated Male's Beer.

And finally ...

- The Fuck You K Beverage Supply Organization.


All just knee-jerk reactions. And. As always. I've got a dry shoulder if you need one.

J.

From Alexandria.

Anonymous said...

Alone At Last Brewing?

Watching You Walk Beer?

Doorknob In The Ass BeerWerks?


I know. I should stop.


J.

Anonymous said...

Gordian Knot Brewery (think about it)

Working Man's Pub (See "Working Man" by RUSH - "I get home at five o'clock and I take myself out a nice, cold beer")

Plateau of Bacchus Brewery (Roman god of Wine, also see "Fountains of Lamneth" by RUSH, part V)

99 and Counting (99 bottles of beer on the wall)

What the Ale? (just plain funny) (Could also substitute, "Go To Ale" or "Ale Yeah!")

The Dragon's Flagon (perhaps where the mighty Thor might obtain his mead) ("Let us hitherto travel anon to The Dragon's Flagon!)

that's pretty much all I got for now...

peace
sam

Anonymous said...

Ok.....Let me see.

"The Olde North State Brew Haus"

"Ninkasi Brew Haus" (Ninkasi the Goddess of Beer)

"Dr Strange Brew Works" with adds like:
"a little Strange never hurts"
"I'll get up for Strange"
"sometimes Strange leaves no bitter after-taste"
"It's all Strange to me"

"Pottsville Select" In honor of Pottsville PA...where the oldest active US brewery is located.

Gate City Hump and Brew
Humping is free but you got to pay for the beer....

"Flash's NIFTY Brew Haus"....I know the security code.

"Gordons Three Ring Brewery"
"where one monkey don't stop no show"

Just a few ideas.....
G

Anonymous said...

I Like 408 B.C. Beleive it or not I had an idea, but I forgot it by the time I read through all the posts.

Flash Gordon Brewing Co.

Big Head Brewery

C.A.G. Brewing Co. (Cleveland to Ada to Greensboro) or (Christopher Alan Gordon). No one will know know for sure.

Big Cohonas Brewery

I wish I could remember the 1st one I thought of cause I liked it.

2-Live