Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Dominican Republic v.2.0 - Wednesday

Dominican pharmacy phrase of the day:
Bobby Harrell, R.I.P.


Today we left The Big Red Truck behind in favor of a mini-bus. Two hours one way in the back of the Daihatsu would be borderline torturous. Four hours total would be DREADFUL. Our destination today: the mountain village of Higuero. A repeat visit from 2008's trip. Tight quarters, bumpy roads (but this time with some sort of suspension!), and a church full of thankful and appreciative locals. I often wonder who gains the most from these visits: the locals or me. Sure, the Dominicans and Haitians gain some much needed medical care, sure the children get a huge kick out of holding an americano's hand while walking around a batey, sure the community comes together to a church or school or wherever...but in all honesty, I get as much out of it as they do. The fulfillment I experience, the warmth I feel in my heart, the joy I see in helping my fellow man, the comaraderie I join in on with my partners in crime, it all blends together into one unbelievable trip that absolutely invigorates and energizes me. Incredible.



We drive back down the mountain and make our way to our playful resort. It happened that Wayne, one of our cohorts, was celebrating a birthday today. So as a surprise after dinner, a huge birthday cake was brought out and we all sang. I wonder if singing "Happy Birthday" was a novelty to the resort's caretakers or not...

Once the cake is consumed and we all sit back full, content, and just a little exhausted, the second wind hits its stride and we stay up late yet again for fun and games. It's disheartening a bit to think that our trip is more than halfway over now...


No comments: