Thursday, May 7, 2009

Silversun Pickups

There are few "contemporary" bands that strike a chord with me. I often find myself revisiting that "warm comfy blanket" of established music. Occasionally however, this idiom is upended and overturned...yet sometimes it's for reasons that remind me of that comfy music blanket.

To wit: Silversun Pickups.

I find them to be a seemingly fluid meld of Pixies and Smashing Pumpkins. Heavy chords of the Pumpkins meeting the breathy harmonies of a female bass player a la Kim Deal and the Pixies. So it's new music, but it's music that reminds me of grungey comfort sounds. So is it all that "new" to me? Am I really breaking out and seeking "new" sounds? Perplexing. But whatever, I like it.

They have 3 major releases: Pikul (2005), Carnavas (2007), and Swoon (2009). Here are some tunes that highlight why I find them so mesmerizing:










Find them. Download them. Enjoy them.

No comments: