Thursday, May 28, 2009

The State of Things

Chapel Hill's NPR station WUNC took a road trip west along I-40 to Greensboro for a remote broadcast today.  The 3rd floor of Triad Stage has a newly renovated radio studio, and this will be the home of the Greensboro bureau of WUNC.  To celebrate, the program invited the public to come on in and be involved as a live audience.  Being the huge nerd that I am, I went.





The hour-long program was divided up into 3 segments:

The program struck a chord with my inner nerd immediately from the outset as host Frank Stasio asked about the reason WHY Greensboro is named Greensboro.  Sweet!  A diatribe about one of my joys is coming right up.  The answer began with the irony of a "Quaker general", then quickly detoured into a statement about a city of dichotomies and complexities.  HEY WAIT A MINUTE!  TALK ABOUT NATHANAEL GREENE!!!  Sadly, with an hour just full of programming, there was no audience participation involved.  And with my dander up a mere 2 minutes into the show, it would have made for entertaining radio.

Another live NPR show under my belt.  Geeks unite!

No comments: