Sunday, May 31, 2009

Toxic brand

Preach about the proper
Boast of your ethics
Proselytize to your brand of being, of doing

I do not fit your mold
Your manifesto bores, it disappoints, it sickens
I do not adhere to your brand of being, of doing

Beat the puppy, it returns wagging
Abuse the dog, it begs forgiveness
A weak mind clings to your brand of being, of doing

The light then shines brightly
Its white hot luminosity brilliantly blinds
I discard your brand of being, of doing

Preach of loss!
Cynicism thrives in your narrow world
A half-empty brand of being, of doing

Loss.  Loss?
You are years too late, I've years ago suffered my loss.
I refuse to subscribe to your brand of being, of doing

A great man long ago instilled pride
An empathetic man long ago instilled love
Until he was poisoned with a virulent brand of being, of doing

A street, a coin, a story: two sided commonality
Remove your irritating cloak of self-appointed righteousness
You alone have slowly woven your own cloth of bitterness, of sadness, of repulsion

....with your particular brand of being, of doing

3 comments:

Contessa said...

THis is your work or something from one of your fav bands? I really liked it. I'd like to use it for something. Please let me know who "kudos" belong to.

Flash said...

It's my creation.

I churned it out in one sitting. You see, my father just passed away Saturday morning. The relationship my parents had with me over the past decade or so has disintegrated beyond recognition. I strive to keep the bad memories and the maternal vitriol from overtaking the great memories I hold dear from years past.

Should make for a fun visit to Ohio later in the week...

Contessa said...

I am sorry, but I keep coming back to this. I am drawn to it out of sorrow, remorse, regret or guilt. So many feelings are so strong and the greatest is honesty. It above all else makes me feel proud: of me in my own personal struggles and of you to be strong enough to write it, see it, over again and know in your heart at whatever level you perceive it true beyond criticism. Precious is this piece: for the you it liberates, the you it luminates and those of us who wish it could. Wow. I feel this in my bones and wish you would give me the okay to use you as a guest blogger. Let's talk about it when and if you are here. Please?