Thursday, May 28, 2009

Star Trek

Another free couple of hours, time to fill it in with another movie. This time, the sci-fi film Star Trek recapping the origins of the crew of the USS Enterprise.

The trailer:


OK, I'm much MUCH more of a Star Wars geek than a Trekkie, but I do know the story, I have seen the films, I'm a little weak on the original television show, and I'm worthless concerning TV shows after The New Generation or The Next Generation or whatever it was called. ("Number One, I order you to take a number two.") So I have an idea of what's going on. I have an idea as to Star Trek film history and storyline.

This movie throws it all to the curb.

A flashier Star Trek, with modern Star Wars-esque CGI space combat scenes to dizzy you. Young members of Starfleet meet and fly away on the maiden voyage of the Enterprise. But what surprises we have in store! I won't give anything away because the story is just SO new. But suffice to say time travel is involved, so occurrences that in no way could have happened with various planets CAN in fact happen now because we've managed to get on a different time arc.

Novel. Shiny and bombastic compared to the old model. I wonder how hardcore Trekkies liked this. it seems to take the Trek canon and box it upon its ears.

I enjoyed, aside from the constantly annoying light flares that blind you on the screen. What was the reasoning? Is an aura needed for each scene? When major characters are onscreen, is it a halo of some sort to signify cinematic deity? Odd.

ALMOST a Full Price for me. As high up the Matinee rating scale as I could muster it.

No comments: