Sunday, June 21, 2009

Lifetime dream fulfilled

Nationals Park. Day before my birthday. Saturday June 20, 2009. Toronto Blue Jays vs. Washington Nationals.

Sec 127, Row E (2nd row), Seat 2.

Bottom of the 4th inning. Toronto's Brett Cecil pitching. 1B Nick Johnson is the first Nats batter of the inning, 3B Ryan Zimmerman on-deck.

Johnson fouls one straight down into the dirt and it dribbles towards Zimmerman.

Zimmerman picks it up and turns to the crowd at the edge of the backstop netting. He makes eye contact with me and James. He then lobs the ball in our direction. It veers towards James on the aisle and his long arms reach it before mine. He hands the ball to me with the statement, "You're the one who loves baseball, what am I going to do with it?"

And my world is at peace. For I go home with a dirty $8 baseball.

No comments: