Saturday, June 13, 2009

Summer vacation 2009 begins

Friday night you saw I took a drive down to Charlotte for a concert.  Saturday begins in earnest a week-long vacation to points northward.  But first, visitors....

Fraternity brother "Art" and Shelley and their kids stopped in town on their way home to Ohio. I'm starting a week off, they're completing one. They went down to Myrtle Beach last weekend; then on their way home, after 4 hours of driving, they stopped for lunch in Greensboro. I really had nowhere to be, so I delayed my own vacation departure until they got into town and we had some lunch. On the menu: Natty Greene's for some good food and good beer. It was great to see them! Always great to catch up with good friends, even if they're just passing through town. After two hours of kibitzing and hanging out, they went north and a smidge west, I went north and a smidge east.

My destination? Colonial Williamsburg.  Time to cash in some of that "hey I donate to your foundation" capital.  My room?  The Williamsburg Lodge.  Just gorgeous.




After settling in, it was a late dinner at one of the few "beer nerd" spots in town: Green Leafe Cafe.  Dominion Brewing's Oak Barrel Stout on-tap?  Yes, please.  Not as good as it once was (remember the brewery tour, James?) but still pretty tasty.  Sadly, it's only a matter of time until it disappears with the sale of the brewpub to Fordham, a subsidiary of Anheuser-Busch.  Yuck.

A good day.  And a busier one in store for tomorrow with a full day planned in the historic area.  Awesome!

1 comment:

dennis said...

If Bones was there, would you have asked them to change the name on the tapper to Dork Barrel Stout?