Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Taking of Pelham 123


When you're a high roller like me with the Greensboro movie houses, certain concessions are made. For instance, today I had a personal screening of the new Denzel Washington / John Travolta film, The Taking of Pelham 123. Yup. Just me. An entire theater for me. I mean, a 11:50am film on a Thursday morning? And no one wants to go? No one except me? I'll take it.

The trailer:



And a homemade concoction of what could pose as an original 1974 trailer:



It's a small thing, but I enjoyed the switch of Denzel Washington's character from Zachary Garber to "Walter Garber" in honor of Walter Matthau. A nice touch.

A gang of hoodlums take a subway train hostage. A huge amount of money is ordered. Garber is pulled into this situation he's certainly not trained for. The banter back and forth between criminal and metro worker is gripping. Both have issues: both balance past indiscretions, both begin to wonder if they are more alike than different.

How in the world will it end? How can hostage takers escape from a subway tunnel? Who will in fact receive redemption in the end?

Pretty good suspense film. Witty dialogue. And even with salt-n-pepper in the goatee, Denzel is still so dreamy....

Matinee Plus for me.

No comments: